Sunday, June 03, 2012

How to make a Pretzel mix for Dad



Hubby's birthday was the other week and I was thinking of crafts for the kids to make. I wanted something that he would really enjoy and was different then past presents. He loves snack mixes and thought it would be fun for the kids to pick out all the ingredients. 


So I took a trip to the Bulk Barn with the kids and we picked out a yummy collection for our mix: waffle pretzels, pretzel nuggets, sesame sticks, salted peanuts, salted almonds, cashews, chocolate rosebuds and M&Ms. 
When we got home we put all the ingredients into a big bowl and mixed it all up. Then scooped it into a large jar that I got from the dollar store. We had some extra so we poison tested it (you know we couldn't give it to Dad if it didn't taste good, right?).
Lilo then helped me decorate the jar with curling ribbon. She was proud of herself for learning to curl the ribbon. 
I forgot to take a picture before we gave it to him which is why it's not full. He loved it and it was gone pretty fast, I think it was a win.


He also got a painted shirt from Isla. It was a freezer paper stencil like Lilo made for him last year for his birthday. I really liked how it turned out. 
The process was a little challenging because for some reason kids never want to colour on demand. I kept trying to get Isla to draw a picture for Dad but she would just scribble something. Finally I thought of just having her cut out shapes to put on a circle to be a soccer ball - much easier to cut out then little thin lines and scribbles. 
After the picture was done I traced the image out onto the freezer paper and cut it out with an x-acto knife and ironed it on to the tee. Then I used white fabric paint and painted a few coats. I pulled off the stencil once it was dry and ironed the back of the shirt to set it. And voila, a new shirt for Dad.
And don't be fooled by the photo, he's not usually so serious :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

That's great! I may just steal your ideas! John's b-day is next month.

Heather

Vone said...

Rob loved it and the kids had fun picking out what should go in it. Super easy gift that can be customized. I did have to convince them that sour keys might not taste good in it though :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
Website Designing company in delhi